My entire family and I went to Albuquerque for his funeral. It was everything he would have wanted. My grandfather was a Marine for 10 years so he had a very special service at the grave site. The United States Marine Corp. was there. There was an American flag draped over his casket, a Marine played 'Taps', and there were U.S. and Marine Corp. flags by the opening of his grave. My grandfather was shot during World War II and when I went to visit him this past summer he told me things he never spoke about. I was also very comforting to him. He would often call for me and liked it when I prepared his meals. He had severe Alzheimer's. One day he became very upset so I held his hand and told him everything was going to be ok. He was so glad I was there and he calmed down much like a child. I then gave him chocolate and he thought that was the best thing! Chocolate made him smile and he had the best smile in the world. Now I have great comfort in knowing that he is with his loving wife Elizabeth (my grandmother)! He actually passed away 20 years and 4 hours exactly after my "Grander". It was even checked with her death certificate. My mom said, "She probably said to him that he was 4 hours late for their date!". She waited long enough for him. It is amazing that he died exactly 20 years after her and in the same house. We all had a feeling it would happen right after Thanksgiving just like my grandmother. He is so missed but I will be with him again someday and I am very thankful for that. Here are some pictures I would like to share. Most of the pictures taken are too personal/private to share but I have some good ones still. There are dates on some pictures and the dates are wrong so just ignore them.
The last time I saw my grandfather. Summer of 2010.
'Memories of his life' table in the viewing room before his funeral. The large book in front is a scrapbook I made of his life from beginning to end. The red hat was his Marine (Semper Fi) hat that he wore often. That was laid in his casket right before it was closed.
Arriving at the cemetery. The Marines saluted my grandfathers arrival. It would have made him proud. What a great honor.
The Marines raised the flag above his casket right before the playing of 'Taps' and kept it raised throughout.
Marine playing 'Taps'. It was beautiful. I audio/video recorded the entire ceremony but that is kept just between family.
The Marines folded the flag then they both saluted it.
The Marine got on one knee and thanked my grandfather for his service in the Marine Corp. He gave the flag to my step grandma then saluted one last time. It was like a farewell salute to my grandfather.
After placing the casket in its resting place. He is now next to his loving wife.
After leaving the cemetery we went back to the church to eat. Some people from the church prepared food for our family. We also ordered the cake we had for my grandpa at his 85th birthday party. Chocolate of course! He always said that when he turned 90 he got to have it again. Well, we had to have it a little earlier than that.
In Loving Memory of David Harrison Yazell
October 16, 1923-November 27, 2010
No comments:
Post a Comment