Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fibromyalgia...



I went to see a Rheumatologist today about being tested for Lupus. After a look at my symptoms and a thorough exam he said "yup you definitely have Fibromyalgia". He is still testing me for Lupus but said he would be surprised if I had it. You hurt all over and frequently feel tired. Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread pain in your muscles, ligaments and tendons, as well as fatigue and multiple tender points — places on your body where slight pressure causes pain. Fibromyalgia occurs in about 2 percent of the population in the United States. Fibromyalgia symptoms often begin after a physical or emotional trauma, like my Pulmonary Embolisms. People with fibromyalgia often awaken tired, even though they seem to get plenty of sleep. Experts believe that these people rarely reach the deep restorative stage of sleep. Sleep disorders that have been linked to fibromyalgia include restless legs syndrome and sleep apnea. Many patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia also have psychiatric disorders. Given that the symptoms may be similar to a viral flu, experts in the field of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome believe that these two illnesses may be one and the same. Fatigue can be one of the most incapacitating for people with fibromyalgia. Patients may feel as though their arms and legs are weighted down by concrete blocks and their bodies may be so drained of energy that every task is an effort. Difficulty concentrating and retaining new information may seriously interfere with everyday mental tasks. This symptom is referred to as "fibro fog" and may hinder job opportunities. In particular, fibromyalgia patients have serious difficulty retaining new information if they are distracted. This sounds like me to a T. This is only some of the symptoms that I have. Now I know why I struggle so much. I guess it could be worse right?

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Ummm, congrats? I am glad you don't have Lupus, but sorry to hear you have Fibromyalgia. I guess it may be comforting to have a diagnosis.

I wish I had more comforting words to say!!

Just know that you are in my prayers.

Kimberly said...

That sucks.

Kimberly said...

make another post, won't you? i keep coming back to check, with no luck