Thursday, August 27, 2009

St. Mary's Basilica

I found St. Mary's Basilica church on my way home from the ASU downtown Phoenix campus on the lightrail. It is a catholic church. Stephen and I have agreed to have a traditional catholic ceremony and a second ceremony with an LDS Bishop. When I saw this church I thought it was very beautiful and I told him I want to get married here. So this is where we are going to get married. We will come up with an official date soon so we can book it! St. Mary's is the oldest church in all of Phoenix and surrounding areas. It was built in 1881 and was nationally recognized when Pope John Paul II came to the church in 1987. It is home to Arizona's largest stained glass window collection. The dome located over the altar is topped with a cupola designed to provide light to the altar which will be nice since I would like to get married late morning there. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. It is so beautiful and I think would be by far the coolest catholic church to get married in. I can imagine walking down that long isle!

Click on the images to make SOME of them larger:


The one above this sentence is the alter.

7 comments:

Lindy said...

I remember seeing that church. It's beautiful! I can't wait to come and see you there!

Shannon F. said...

If you're doing a traditional Catholic wedding that usually means a Mass is involved... I've been to a Spanish wedding and an English funeral with Catholic Masses included. Very interesting experience for a non-Catholic and non-Spanish speaker.

Anonymous said...

It looks so, so nice! I am a little jealous. Beautiful!
Amanda

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Shannon, the Wedding will be in English NOT Spanish and for it to be a Traditional Catholic Wedding that mean there will be a mass involved. :) Spanish wedding are also a lot longer because the involve more spanish tradition in them and since I am not big on the Spanish tradition and don't know a lot of spanish we will stick to an English wedding. So everyone can leave their English Spanish dictionaries at home there won't be a need for them! lol!!

Kimberly said...

so there WILL be a Mass? Cool!

April Morgan McCoy "Auntie April" said...

Yes sisser there WILL be a mass!